Thursday, August 27, 2009

Getting to Know . . . (and I hope, daughters dear, you are satisfied?)

1. What time did you get up this morning? 5:16. Since neighbor and I have decided to drag our tired, middle-aged bones (with accompanying tendons, muscles and sweet et cetera) out to walk the hills for half an hour every morning before six. As in: it is still dark and it would be a lot more encouraging if we were heading into summer and not increasingly darker and colder winter mornings.

2. How do you like your steak? Do I have a steak? Is this an invitation? Would “with mushrooms and plenty of pepper” be an option?

3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Ooo . . . the cinema . . . I don’t remember. (But I do think it’s about time for a sudden abundance of luscious, weepy, stand - up - and - cheer, throw - your - arms - around - your - companion flicks to hit the silver screen.)

4. What is your favorite TV show? I used to be very fond of Mad about You, but haven’t seen much since.

5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Here, but with states mysteriously rearranged so that all my dear ones are about a half hour away. Well, maybe an hour for some of you ;0> (No, I’m kidding.)  (About the hour part!)

6. What did you have for breakfast? Half a dainty and drippingly sweet cantaloupe from the farm share and a big drainy-bowl of perfectly ripe and in-season grapes that I shared with YoungSon. (Whew, I’m glad I answered this today and not yesterday when I would have had to say nutella on graham crackers and bittersweet chocolate chips.)

7. What is your favorite cuisine? “Thai currently.” Oh yes, I’d have to agree with my sister. Otherwise I’d say whatever’s fresh and reasonably local. With plenty greens. Or popsicles - mango, tamarind, coconut and the kind with real chunks of strawberries.

8. What foods do you dislike? Big hunks of dry meat. Canned cream of mushroom soup. Live grubs.

9. Favorite Place to Eat? At the table . . . no, that’s not true. My favorite place to eat is outside beside the campfire after a day hiking to the lakes. . . . .though those little sidewalk cafĂ© tables outside Jake’s Famous Crawfish aren’t bad. . . . nor the ones on the dock by Mark’s on the Channel after a day biking . . . and I’ve heard Andina and Toro Bravo are places to try, just in case anyone were wondering . . .

10. Favorite dressing? Up. I really like my new drab olive with polka dots, 1930s collar, swishy skirt.

11. What kind of vehicle do you drive? The one that is available. Though whenever other contraints allow, bicycle.

12. What are your favorite clothes? Clean and already folded. . . . Ironed and put in their proper places would be so shockingly wonderful I’d probably have to sit down for a minute or two.

13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? I’m going along with my sister: “Where wouldn’t I visit if I had the chance!” Honestly, I saw the words “wanderlust” this past week and my feet started itching, my invisible wings started twitching. This past summer I’ve planned out detailed itineraries for
1) a biking adventure along the Acadian coast of New Brunswick, bookended by long weekends walking around Montreal and biking on Prince Edward Island.
2) a historical/ genealogical drive from Maine to Connecticut, with stop-over in Boston and a side-trip to the Susquehannah River Valley with a possible . . .
3) biking week in and around Washington, D.C.
4) a bike through the Cotswolds to Stratford-upon-Avon, followed by . . .
5) a walking tour on the ancient Ridgeway between the White Horse of Uffington and the standing stones at Avebury with trains to Salisbury, Oxford and London.
6) a train and bike trip from Vienna to Salzburg . . . including a roller coaster down the Alps and a tour of the world's oldest (?) salt mine.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? I don’t really think it’s appropriate to discuss my underclothing in such a public forum.

15. Where would you want to retire? I like my other sister’s answer: “my own bed.” Though even better would be that bed in the Green Cat B&B on Bainbridge Island – was it really that unbelievably and perfectly comfortable? or was it the miles I’d biked that day? or the cot and stinky teepee we’d stayed the night before?

16. Favorite time of day? Why? If I tell you, you’ll think of something you need me to do right in the middle of it, won’t you?

17. Where were you born? I don't think I like the tone you're asking that with. (But since you did ask - same hospital where my mother was. Born, that is. Because obviously I was born in the same hospital my mother was in - like when she gave birth to me. But I was born in the same hospital my mother was born in and so was my oldest child. But not all at the same time. Obviously.)

18. What is your favorite sport to watch? . . . . uh, you wanted an answer to that?. . . Truly, I like to watch all kinds of sports – played outside – in the early evening – by children – who haven’t been paid – and don’t have coaches.

19. Who do you think will not tag you back? I think all of you have already tagged me. Oh, except for Fritz who believes he caught me some time ago.

20. Person you expect to tag you back first? Are you not paying any attention at all to what I'm telling you?

22. Bird watcher? Sure, why not. But what I’d really like would to be able to identify birds by their calls. What do you call that? Bird hearer? Bird speaker? Bird recognizer?

23. Are you a morning person or a night person? There are some days that in the morning I start out as night person, only to switch to a morning person by nightfall.

24. Do you have any pets? Cats, only one of whom has a pleasant disposition, and a current campaign for a puppy.

26. What did you want to be when you were little? Bigger. Now, it’s the other way around.

27. What is your best childhood memory? Most certainly it was that day I was with YOU – remember, when you said that one thing while we were – and then I - yeah, THAT time!

28. Are you a cat or a dog person? I am more, I believe, a honeybee person.

29. Are you married? Oh, the bliss!

30. Always wear your seat belt? Okay.

31. Been in a car accident? But I was more injured when I fell off my bike in gravel going down my own hill and broke my foot.

32. Any pet peeves? I am never irritated. In fact, it is highly likely that it is thus I who peeve any number of others.

33. Favorite pizza topping? spicy tomato sauce, green peppers and onions, lotsa mozza, pepperoni and olives. My own mother never had pizza until she went away to college and now we assume everyone has?

34. Favorite Flower? The ones that smell pretty and the ones that shine when the light gets behind them: iris, lilac, Japanese anenome, tobacco flower, honeysuckle, pasque flowers, poet’s narcissus . . .

35. Favorite ice cream? Okay, we made ice cream up at my house two nights ago. Three teenage girls and the other youth leader and I. Do you realize how easy it is? Cream, sugar, salt, vanilla bean – that’s it. Too creamy – yes. I think I should have used lighter cream, or even half-and-half. I couldn’t believe how creamy it was. I want to find a hand-crank ice cream maker like the one we borrowed from our neighbors with a half-gallon metal tubbie and wooden slatted sides.

36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Burgerville, for when I’m in the healthy Northwest. White Castle, for when I’m not.

37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? The written test part - Never. The driving part – Well. The real question is, Was it me or was it the Butterscotch Mammoth Mobile? I only passed parallel parking when my best friend kidnapped me from school one lunchtime, in the snow, right before Christmas break and I took the test in her mini-compact.

38. From whom did you get your last email? Boy, you are kind of nosey, aren’t you?

39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Do people choose to max out their cards? I feel like I’m playing the slot machine whenever I run it through at the grocery store – first fatal step on the slippery slope to addiction and financial counselling. I would prefer to spend cash – euros, pounds, loonies, cowrie shells . . .

40. Do anything spontaneous lately? I walked under a waterfall. It was wet. Somewhat exhilirating. But my ongoing chatter at my doing it proved to me just how un-spontaneous I am. (Do you think I should arrange to do things like this more often?)

41. Like your job? Actually, I think I’m in the middle of a career change. I’ll keep you posted . . .

42. Broccoli? . . . What? I know that in French to call someone a little cauliflower is an endearment, but I’m not sure how I’m meant to respond here.

43. What was your favorite vacation? Bruges in Belgium where we rented bikes and the village of La Cornette in Wallonia. Biking through Seattle to Port Townshend and the Kitsap Peninsula.

44. Last person you went out to dinner with? My lovely sister and her lovely family . . . Cajun . . . frog legs, alligator tail . . . you may have heard about it already.

45. What are you listening to right now? The door closing. An airplane crossing over. YoungSon biking around the house on the gravel drive.

46. What is your favorite color? No, I insist, what is your favorite color?

47. How many tattoos do you have? Let’s see . . . we’ve got Popeye, we’ve got Bugs Bunny, we’ve got – What?  sorry, thought you said cartoons . . .

49. What time did you finish this quiz? I believe in eternal revision.

50. Coffee Drinker? Like the other women in my family, I too am a coffee-sniffer. I love the way coffee smells, but I wouldn’t nosh pot-pourri, either.

O sweet spontaneous . . . and soggy

5 comments:

Mrs. Organic said...

#14 makes me love you all the more and #41 has me intrigued. I'm all for spontaneity. Woot!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my goodness, you are funny. Truly witty. I will never forget this answer next time I'm asked the cup question: "Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? I don’t really think it’s appropriate to discuss my underclothing in such a public forum."

Lisa B. said...

I'm loving these quiz things--nice to get to know you a little more, in this way.

Fritz said...

Re #19:

Li-Li

Love,
Fritz

Emma J said...

Fritz - ah, you got me - like forever and for always

Related Posts