Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Heaven - or a taste thereof


- as in The Public Library of Multnomah County - MultCoLib familiarly - and oughtn't we all be familiar with our favorite library? - because this is the month I allow myself again to read. 

And I will read:
and interspersed with those











  • a handful bound in buckram by George Sand (The Country Waif, The Haunted Pool, Countess of Rudolstadt, Indiana)
  • and one by Pearl S. Buck (This Proud Heart)
  • also Greenwillow by B.J. Chute which I read over and over when I was in high school and look forward to now with much fondness
  • plus, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis - if it's not too wrenching a read and if I can bear wrenching . . .
  • and They're a Weird Mob - about an Italian travelling in Australia

    And then more books about hand language and body language and the language of dance which I will largely skim.

    I don't know.  Do you think that will do?




    My online library account tells me I also have waiting for me on the hold shelf:
    But I don't think the others I've put on hold:
    are going to come in on time ...

    (At least I've finished up my uber-nerdy read which has been allowed in a non-reading month under the rubric of Necessary Research for Writing Projects so I can plunge right in-

    - yes, yes, Fritz, don't worry -  I'm using "plunge" merely as a figure of speech.  Never fear.  I will be seen and functioning during this coming month - I might even make bread tomorrow!)

    3 comments:

    Neighbor Jane Payne said...

    Oh. my. goodness. You are a READER.

    It makes my docket look wimpy and short, even though it looked like a stretch originally! (Einstein by Walter Isaacson,
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis,
    Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman, and two fluffs I'm too embarrassed to name :)

    Melissa said...

    I second Neighbor's comment. I have only recently admitted to myself that I really vastly prefer novels, and the nonfictions I pick up never seem to hold my interest. I like fluff literature. But please, if any of these are incredible stand-outs, pass on the recommendations (you are my best referral for soon-to-be favorites, afterall.) I love the pictures of the library, it's such a lovely space, isn't it?

    Emma J said...

    My list just looks impressive I'm afraid. And any one book on your list, N. Jane, outweighs any three or four on mine. Only the Perception books are serious - everything else is anecdotes, satire and pseudo-science quackery - but I'll pass on the best of the batch, Mel.

    Related Posts