Wednesday, November 4, 2009

. . . and rainbow




aargh!  Tired. Cramped for time.  But I trudged my way to 5124 words total. Which puts me squarely on schedule.

Word of the Day was "regimen"  and I remind myself that is what this is - like biking back and forth to town each day - doesn't really matter how it's done only that it is done everyday and gradually the legs get stronger and the hills climb faster. 

Today was mostly garbage writing (many sentences beginning "and so then they left and suddenly there was a . . . bird in a birdcage?  C'mon Flickr give me something better than that! oh all right:  but this was no ordinary bird . . ."*) and I remind myself "a bad draft can be revised into something better.  A blank page can only be revised into a blank page."

Came back down to the computer after dinner and the youth activity and suddenly a burst of fresh inspiration - maybe I can make it to 2500 words written for the day after all.  And for a brief hour or two the writing flows.  Instead of making things up I'm observing a scene - characters speak for themselves, go off in more interesting directions.

And 27 words away from my goal, I accidentally erase every fresh word I've written. 

Scratch back through this limping second chapter trying to remember the fresh stuff the best I can.  5934 words -  done but with no beauty.  And it's after midnight.

Have I said aargh already?

(think "rainbow"  - think "it comes after the rain")




*and thanks, Mom, for those years of practice in MacGyver-style story-telling, playing over and over "Crossing the Plains"!

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This is such a fascinating process watching you go through this.

Are you really holding to one raisin a page? I don't have that kind of discipline. Nope. Not at all.

Mrs. Organic said...

Rah, rah,
rah, rah, rah
Goooooooooooo Emma!

P.S. My pom poms are blue and gold.

Related Posts