Tuesday, November 10, 2009

imaginary evil, imaginary good



Simone Weil said:

“Imaginary evil is romantic and varied;
     real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring.


Imaginary good is boring;
     real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating.”

hmmm . . . is this true?  I want it to be true.

I suspect it may be true.

But if real good is so great, why isn't our imaginary good more frequently romantic, varied, new, marvelous and intoxicating? 

Are our imaginations diseased? 



Is mine?  Diseased?  Is that what's wrong with me?  Am I sick?  I could be sick.  I feel sick.  Maybe I should go lie down . . .

(And this is why I didn't major in philosophy.  Nor medicine.  Nor psychology . . . )


2 comments:

Mrs. Organic said...

I think real evil can be intoxicating, at first, and then it settles into the depressing monotony (sp?) when the reality of consequences settles in.

Real good seems to me to be mostly boring/mundane life pierced with marvelous, intoxicating moments. Else how could we stand to be good?

Emma J said...

Because we can't stand the piercingly exquisite for too long or because the monotony would drown us? Serious question.

I have wondered if the "danger" of evil doesn't just cut the bliss enough that we keep coming back for more. But the bliss of goodness can be terrifying - because it appears endless.

Related Posts