Tuesday, November 3, 2009

rain . . .



Though yesterday was actually bright and clear.

I took it as a good sign that
The Word of the Day for November 02, 2009 was:

voluble • \VAHL-yuh-bul\ • adjective

1 : easily rolling or turning : rotating

*2 : characterized by ready or rapid speech : glib, fluent


Example Sentence:
The young man proved to be a voluble informer who would tell stories of bookies, smugglers, and hit men to the detectives for hours.


Did you know?
English has many terms for gabby types, but it's important to choose the right word to get across what kind of chatterbox you mean. "Talkative" usually implies a readiness to engage in talk or a disposition to enjoy conversation. "Loquacious" generally suggests the power to express oneself fluently, articulately, or glibly, but it can also mean "talking excessively." "Garrulous" is even stronger in its suggestion of excessive talkativeness; it is most often used for tedious, rambling talkers. "Voluble" describes an individual who speaks easily and often.
Yes, yes, and yes.

And today this garrulous loquacious volubility wrote 3,399 words which puts me in a good spot for tomorrow even if I will be away most of the first part of the day!


3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

what is the emoticon for confetti and balloons?

B said...

I love word of the day. I get them in my inbox from dictionary.com or something like that. I subscribe to the spanish word of the day too. I dont know why.
If you need space to write more, you know, you could always take over my poor, dying blog. It is on life support, I think.

B

Mrs. Organic said...

What a triumph! Nearly 1/10 in the first few days!

Related Posts