Friday, December 17, 2010

Thank you, Swift Couriers

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night
stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

Firstly, you are open in the morning early.
Secondly, you are also open into the evening late.
Thirdly, you have little works of art for sale for under 50 cents.
Fourthly, you have flat rate boxes.
Fifthly, your crowd today is cheery, even merry -
"Have to get back in line?" says the tall man at the end.  I've been sizing out the flat rate boxes.
"Looks like it."
"Why don't you go ahead of me."
"Eh, it's okay.  Guess I need to stop for a minute anyway.  Guess I need some peace."
"All the bustle," he nods.
He makes a point to squeeze up so there's room for more of us in the latter half of the line to slip into the warmth of the heated front office.
When we come to the front of the line, he insists I go first.
"No, I couldn't do that to you. I'm going to be quite a while."
"I've got all the time in the world this afternoon.  Go ahead." and he waves me ahead.  And I am grateful.
Sixthly, your desk clerks weigh everything for me and enter our best guesses at zipcodes to help estimate costs and suggest box sizes for the cheapest rates and are sweet and smiling the whole time.
Seventhly, you promise delivery before Christmas  . . .

What can I say to all that but - Thank you.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

lovely. for all the complaining people do about the post office, I find the same things, more or less, that you describe here, and am similarly grateful.

Melody said...

And did I mention the photo here is delightful - the red tile, gold leaf letters, blue box in the glass... very nice.

Related Posts