Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thank you, Thank You


Because of you, Thank You, all day lately I'm thinking, So I wonder what will I be thankful for today? 

And whatever happens, I wonder, Is this a thank you? How could it be?  Rain?  What is good about rain so heavy not even the fastest wiper can keep the windshield clear? The cobbled fish-scale pattern of rain falling on water against the glass? 

I forget to be impatient when the gushing deluge makes the traffic creep, though I am late for an appointment.  Slow truck - pulling the horse trailer up hazardous Cornelius Pass - am I grateful you impose a prudent speed on us all?

All day at the edges of my mind other people's poems of praise play out, half-shaping themselves on my tongue -  i thank You God for most this amazing day . . . O World, I cannot hold thee close enough . . . Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how) . . . For I will consider my Cat Jeoffrey . . . and a tiny but jubilant Hallelujah chorus sings out a regular soundtrack behind my left ear: Thanks, thanks, thanks be to God which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. To a grateful mind, everything begins to look like a love letter from on high.




I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful
green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer designedly dropped,
Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we
may see and remark, and say Whose?

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. To a grateful mind, everything begins to look like a love letter from God." So true. So true. A grateful heart helps us see everything so much more clearly.

Melody said...

Indeed! Thanks and thanks again.

Related Posts