Thursday, December 20, 2012

I forgive you, Expectations


Forgive in the sense of dismiss.

You are dismissed, Expectations.  You've served your purpose, I guess.  Sweetened days that came before in anticipation.  But now you only bring me gravel and thorns.

So much for this sweet week I've been looking forward to for so long, each day planned out in detail.  So much for planning out.  So much for the conversations and laughter and light work of many hands while the necessary rushing and working had to happen so that the holidays can happen.

The rushing and working that still have to happen, at least in some abbreviated form.  Some, hopefully better than grudging, form.  Some form that love can fill only if you take one more thing from me, Expectations, and that is yourself with your distorting demands for fulfillment.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

YES. An incantation. I will be repeating this twice daily, more often as needed.

(this year, with a sweet baby and a son who has needed attendance and attention, the blessings have been: holding a sweet baby, sweet time spent with my son. and now my daughter's home, flying hither and thither--I myself flying hither and thither--etc.--if one can just attend to what's present!)

Emma J said...

That's what I need to do -- see the sweetness that is instead of moaning over the sweetness that isn't.

Related Posts